Our Commitment to the Environment
The Polar Regions: Bellwethers for the Health of the Planet
Quark Expeditions is profoundly committed to environmentally responsible tourism. We do everything we can to lighten our ecological footprint. We work to reduce and minimize our carbon emissions. We raise funds for the protection of polar wildlife. We educate our travelers, before they board, during the expedition, and, here, on our web site.
A Passion for the Polar Regions. A Commitment to Safety and Sustainability.
As a founding member of the International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators (IAATO), and an active member of the Association of Arctic Expedition Cruise Operators (AECO), we adhere to stringent guidelines designed to ensure that the Polar Regions will remain pristine for generations to come.
Quark was the first operator to offer inclusive CarbonNeutral® voyages on the Ocean Diamond. By doing so we have enhanced our commitment to ecological sensitivity and to minimizing our impact on the areas we visit, including:
• Having our vessels burn Marine Gas Oil (MGO) – a clean burning fuel with a low emission factor
• Conforming to all international regulations/policies governing disposal of waste at sea
• Carbon offsetting of all Quark Expeditions’ team and staff air travel
• Serving only sustainable seafood
• Removing disposable water bottles from the ships
• Making all our voyages virtually paperless by 2014, and having any paper used be 100% recyclable
• Using recycled paper and acid free inks in the manufacture of our brochures