Have you ever imagined yourself standing at the very top of the world? Of witnessing a nuclear icebreaker crushing through the thick sea ice in one of the most remote regions of the planet? Of enjoying a celebratory barbeque on the ice-covered landscape at 90° N? Join this virtual polar expedition to the North Pole. It’s the next best thing to being there—though you’ll want to experience it for yourself!
- Helsinki, Finland
Starting PriceCA$43,600 CAD
In 1991, Quark Expeditions fulfilled the bucket-list dreams of several dozen travelers by taking them to the hard-to-reach North Pole—a journey that previously existed only in the wildest imaginations of the most adventurous travelers. Navigating through the thick sea ice aboard a nuclear-powered icebreaker—helmed by the most innovative expedition team in the industry—Quark Expeditions became the first-ever operator to bring travelers to the venerable North Pole. That inaugural voyage fueled the desires of subsequent adventurers who also longed to stand at 90° North—the very top of the world where every direction you look is south—and bask in the glory of a polar adventure experienced by so few.
Three decades have passed and Quark Expeditions, the recognized Leader in Polar Adventures, still leads the way in polar travel—and the North Pole remains one of the most sought-after Arctic destinations. Imagine the thrill of a powerful icebreaker crushing through multi-year pack ice as it pushes toward 90° North. Or envision yourself aboard a helicopter as it soars over the icy Arctic Ocean—or standing on a remote spot on the planet where so few have ever set foot. Join us on this exhilarating journey and discover for yourself why the North Pole has, for centuries, stirred the minds and hearts of explorers and adventurers the world-over.
Your 360 Close-up of the North Pole
Your Arctic adventure begins in Helsinki, renowned for its extraordinary architecture and design scene and intriguing mix of eastern and western influences. If you arrive early, explore the many museums, galleries and restaurants, relax at a Finnish sauna or wander the vibrant Design District before retiring at your included hotel.
From Helsinki, you’ll join your fellow passengers on the charter flight to Murmansk, Russia, where you’ll embark on your voyage to the North Pole and get acquainted with 50 Years of Victory, a nuclear icebreaker.
Being on board Victory and feeling the icebreaker crush through the Arctic pack ice is an experience you’ll never forget. Just as memorable is boarding the ship’s helicopter for a thrilling aerial view over the ship and the expansive Arctic Ocean. You can expect variable sailing conditions this far north. The crossing from Murmansk to the North Pole can take us anywhere from four to six days, depending on the ice conditions. This means you’ll have plenty of time to get to know your shipmates and be treated to presentations and discussions with your Expedition Team while looking out for wildlife. There are also many wonderful amenities on board, such as the ship’s heated saltwater plunge pool or basketball court.
The anticipation reaches a climax as you arrive at the North Pole! Many travelers find themselves overcome with emotion, while others are in a festive and celebratory mood. Take photos, call your family, wave a flag—just be sure you enjoy your moment at the top of the world!
Later, everyone will celebrate with a toast and a barbecue on the ice. If the opportunity allows, you have the option of taking a polar plunge into the icy waters around the North Pole. We’ll also attempt to launch passengers high above the Pole in our hot air balloon to commemorate this great moment (weather dependant, extra cost).
On our return voyage, you can sit back and relax. As you head farther south, you may get lucky and spot polar bears hunting for seals.
This group of approximately 200 islands forms the most northerly archipelago in Eurasia and lies entirely within the Arctic Circle. Here, you’ll explore Cape Flora and discover historic remains from three ill-fated Arctic expeditions. You may also have the chance, if conditions allow, to explore remote seabird colonies while Zodiac cruising beneath towering cliffs, or enjoy another breathtaking aerial sightseeing tour aboard the Victory helicopter.
Enjoy your time on deck or reminisce with your shipmates and new friends as you cross the Arctic Ocean back to Murmansk. Expedition staff will be on hand to answer any remaining questions and point out wildlife during the return journey.
Returning to Russia’s most northerly city, you’ll have time to bid farewell to the 50 Years of Victory. You’ll be transferred to the airport for your charter flight to Helsinki, Finland, to enjoy one final night with your newfound friends.
After breakfast, your official Quark Expeditions® journey comes to an end. We do encourage you to spend time exploring Helsinki, and its surrounding areas.
*MANDATORY TRANSFER PACKAGE INCLUDES:
- One night’s pre-expedition airport hotel accommodation in Helsinki
- Charter flight from Helsinki to Murmansk
- Transfers to and from the ship
- Charter flight from Murmansk to Helsinki
- One night’s post-expedition airport hotel accommodation in Helsinki
PACKAGE PRICE: $1,995 USD
IMPORTANT: Russian visas are required for tourists from most countries. This voyage requires double-entry Russian visas. See your country’s Russian consulate or embassy for details.
IMPORTANT REMINDER: Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy—and excitement—of expedition travel. When traveling in extremely remote regions, your expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. This itinerary is a tentative outline of what you’ll experience on this voyage; please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed.
- Leadership throughout your voyage by our experienced Expedition Leaders, including shore landings and other activities
- All Zodiac transfers and cruising as per the daily program
- All shore landings as per the daily program
- Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping
- All meals, snacks, soft drinks and juices on board throughout your voyage (Please inform us of any dietary requirements as far in advance as possible. Unfortunately, the ships’ galleys cannot prepare kosher meals.)
- Beer and wine during dinner; and coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock
- Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and guest speakers as scheduled
- A photographic journal documenting the expedition
- A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for landings and Zodiac cruising excursions
- An official Quark Expeditions® parka to keep
- Hair dryer and bathrobes in every cabin
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- All luggage handling aboard the ship
- Emergency Evacuation insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of USD $500,000 per person
- Russian invitation letter for visa application provided after final payment
- Mandatory transfer package*
- International airfare
- Arrival and departure transfers in Helsinki
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
- Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
- Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance—strongly recommended
- Excess-baggage fees on international flights
- Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
- Laundry, bar and other personal charges unless specified
- Phone and Internet charges (connectivity may vary by location)
- Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
- Hot air ballooning at the North Pole
Book with Confidence
Quark Expeditions’ enhanced Book with Confidence Guarantee is an industry first cancellation and rebook policy where we have our guests covered from the initial booking date until their expedition cruise returns to give 100% risk-free cancellation and flexibility options. From “Booking to Boarding” we have you covered all the way.
Easily rebook or we will refund you if we have to cancel your voyage for COVID-19 reasons.
30 Day Easy Rebook Guarantee
Easily rebook your trip for any reason up to 30 days prior to your voyage. No questions asked.
COVID-19 Protection Guarantee
Easily rebook if you have to cancel your trip within 29 to 1 day of the voyage due to COVID-19.