Quark Expeditions is seeking a dynamic, personable candidate who is looking to combine a love of adventure & expedition travel with their solid organizational, logistical and interpersonal skills to prepare for our Arctic and Antarctic programs. The position will be based at our Toronto office as part of our Operations Team.
The Operations Specialist is a position within the Operations Department, responsible for a variety of ongoing projects and planning for the current and future seasons. The Operations Specialist will create and use existing strategies to ensure our field staff are equipped with the support, materials and supplies required to deliver an exceptional onboard product.
Relationship to others:
The Operations Specialist has daily contact with others within the Operations Department as well as individuals from other departments, such as Sales, Marketing, Product, IT and Finance.
The Operations Specialist reports directly to the Operations Manager and has no direct reports.
- Submitting various permits required to operate in the polar regions and determine requirements when entering new areas.
- Scheduling community visits where applicable.
- Preparing permit applications and submitting reports to the permitting authorities (IAATO and AECO) in a timely manner
- Collaborating in tracking, organizing, archiving copies of contracts and insurance
- Collaborating in the logistics of shipping gear to various international ports to rendezvous with the company’s vessels
- Assisting the team in organizing set-up and pack-up logistics for the start-up and end of season activities
- Collaborating with other Operations Specialist in the procurement of expedition supplies including analysis of what is needed and creating a purchasing plan within budget for each season
- Preparing material required by the field staff to deliver our onboard product well
- Liaising and communicating with other departments in projects and daily activities
- Contribute to improving processes within the operations department
Key requirements skills and qualifications
- Excellent attention to detail
- Great organizational skills
- Ability to work within an informal entrepreneurial team but within a corporate context
- Self-starter with a passion for exceeding goals and objectives
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Strong sense of integrity
- Collaborative worker
- Strategic and innovative thinker
- Ability to work under pressure
- Confidence using Microsoft Excel
- Experience purchasing/working within a budget
- Knowledge of ship or expedition operations helpful
- Knowledge of polar regions helpful