Imagine standing where all lines of longitude converge, 90 degrees north. The Geographic North Pole
Spitsbergen, Norway is the ideal starting point for this expedition, as we fly to Barneo Ice Camp at approximately 89N. Built as a drifting polar research facility, but used by adventurers and extreme sports enthusiasts alike, an expedition to Barneo will have you mingling with scientists, skiers, and explorers from around the world.
The highlight of the trip is reaching the North Pole, and we employ the power and Arctic-tested ruggedness of Mi8 helicopters to do just that. Celebrate your achievement with a champagne toast and a satellite phone call to anywhere in the world.
Outside temperatures can range from minus 4 F to minus 25 F (minus 20 C to minus 30 C), so once you’ve taken some photographs and reveled in triumph, head back to camp and swap stories with your fellow travelers.
Accommodations are in dormitory style tents which sleep 10 to 12 people, and because your comfort is a priority, the tents are heated to 60 F to 65 F (15 C to 18 C). The relaxed atmosphere at the camp, and the friendly staff will make you feel right at home. Quark Expeditions staff will be happy to show you around and answer any questions you may have.
The pinnacle of this three-day expedition is spending one nights at 89° north at Barneo Ice Camp. This temporary, fly-in camp site is truly the most unique North Pole experiences on offer and ideal for those seeking a short, but adventurous journey to the top of the world. You’ll be one of an exclusive group to land on the frozen runway and take up temporary residence on this unequalled floating site on the icy sea of the North Polar Basin.
- Fly-in to one of the most remote, extraordinary expedition base camps in the world
- Reach the top of the world by Antonov AN-74 aircraft and Mi8 helicopter
- Special edition Quark Expeditions parka, provided for arctic temperatures of -25°F (-32°C) on average
- Learn first-hand about the scientific and research activities being conducted at this research station
- Explore the unique culture of Longyearbyen, Norway before and after the base camp
Upcoming Departures for the Barneo Ice Camp
- Apr 13—Apr 15, 2019 - 3 days - Limited Availability - Please Call