- Helsinki, Finland
Starting Price$31,995 USD
A magical destination for travelers everywhere, the North Pole is special not only because of the unique geographical spot it occupies but also because it remains a domain that, for most, exists only in the imagination—fewer people have stood at the North Pole than have attempted to climb Mount Everest. Difficult to reach and singular in its impact, the North Pole transforms the perspectives of everyone fortunate enough to reach it. In 2021, Quark Expeditions marks 30 years of taking passengers to this northernmost point on the globe, and on this amazing voyage, we enable you to join the privileged few who have set foot on the North Pole.
Experience the thrill of the most powerful nuclear icebreaker on the planet crushing through thick, multi-year pack ice as it pushes toward 90° North. Enjoy a riveting helicopter tour over the icy Arctic Ocean; discover the remarkable sights of Franz Josef Land; observe the majestic creatures who make their home in this breathtaking yet fragile land; and experience a dreamlike hot air balloon ride over the surreal Arctic landscape, an activity offered by no other polar operator. Join us on this exhilarating journey, venture to a part of the globe few have ever seen, and come to understand why the North Pole has, for centuries, stirred the minds and hearts of explorers and adventurers alike.
Your adventure begins with a one night stay in Helsinki, Finland’s capital.
From Helsinki, you’ll join your fellow passengers on the charter flight to Murmansk, Russia, where you’ll embark on your voyage to the North Pole and get acquainted with 50 Years of Victory, a nuclear icebreaker.
Being on board Victory and feeling the icebreaker as it crushes through the Arctic pack ice is an experience you’ll never forget. Just as memorable is boarding the ship’s helicopter for a thrilling aerial view over the ship and the Itinerary expansive Arctic Ocean. You can expect variable sailing conditions this far north. The crossing from Murmansk to the North Pole can take us anywhere from four to six days, depending on the ice conditions. This means you’ll have plenty of time to get to know your shipmates and be treated to presentations and discussions with your Expedition Team while looking out for birdlife. There are also many wonderful amenities on board, such as the ship’s heated saltwater plunge pool or basketball court.
The anticipation reaches a climax as you arrive at the North Pole! Many travelers find themselves overcome with emotion, while others are in a festive and celebratory mood. Take photos, call your family, wave a flag—just be sure you enjoy your moment at the top of the world! Later, everyone will celebrate with a toast and a barbecue on the ice. If the opportunity allows, you have the option of taking a polar plunge into the icy waters around the North Pole. We’ll also attempt to launch passengers high above the Pole in our hot air balloon to commemorate this great moment (this is highly weather dependent).
On our return voyage, you can sit back and relax. As you head farther south, you may get lucky and spot polar bears hunting for seals.
This group of approximately 200 islands forms the most northerly archipelago in Eurasia and lies entirely within the Arctic Circle. Here, you’ll explore Cape Flora and discover historic remains from three ill-fated Arctic expeditions. You may also have the chance, if conditions allow, to explore remote seabird colonies while Zodiac cruising beneath towering cliffs, or enjoy another breathtaking aerial sightseeing tour aboard the Victory helicopter.
Enjoy your time on deck or reminisce with your shipmates and new friends as you cross the Arctic Ocean back to Murmansk. Expedition staff will be on hand to answer any remaining questions and point out wildlife during the return journey
Returning to Russia’s most northerly city, you’ll have time to bid farewell to the 50 Years of Victory. You’ll be transferred to the airport for your charter flight to Helsinki, Finland, to enjoy one final night with your newfound friends.
After breakfast, your official Quark Expeditions® journey comes to an end. We do encourage you to spend time exploring Helsinki, and its surrounding areas.
*MANDATORY TRANSFER PACKAGE INCLUDES:
- One night’s pre-expedition airport hotel accommodation in Helsinki
- Charter flight from Helsinki to Murmansk
- Transfers to and from the ship
- Charter flight from Murmansk to Helsinki
- One night’s post-expedition airport hotel accommodation in Helsinki
PACKAGE PRICE: $1,995 USD
IMPORTANT: Russian visas are required for tourists from most countries. This voyage requires double-entry Russian visas. See your country’s Russian consulate or embassy for details.
IMPORTANT REMINDER: Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy—and excitement—of expedition travel. When traveling in extremely remote regions, your expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. This itinerary is a tentative outline of what you’ll experience on this voyage; please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed.
- Leadership throughout the voyage by our experienced Expedition Team
- All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program
- All shore landings per the daily program
- Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping
- All meals, snacks, soft drinks and juices on board throughout your voyage (Please inform us of any dietary requirements as far in advance as possible. Unfortunately, the ships’ galleys cannot prepare kosher meals.)
- Beer and wine during dinner; and coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock
- Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and guest speakers as scheduled
- A photographic journal documenting the expedition
- A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for landings and Zodiac cruising excursions
- An official Quark Expeditions® parka to keep
- Hair dryer and bathrobes in every cabin
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- All luggage handling aboard the ship
- Emergency Evacuation insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of USD $500,000 per person
- Russian invitation letter for visa application provided after final payment
- Mandatory transfer package*
- International airfare
- Arrival and departure transfers in Helsinki
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
- Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
- Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance—strongly recommended
- Excess-baggage fees on international flights
- Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
- Laundry, bar and other personal charges unless specified
- Phone and Internet charges
- Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
- Hot air ballooning at the North Pole
July 07, 2019
Trip of a lifetime!
Trip of a lifetime!
July 07, 2019
Powerful Ship - Great Polar Bears
What a GREAT trip. The ship is a destination all on its own. 50 Years of Victory cutting through the ice is amazing to watch. As always, Quark’s guest lecturers and expedition staff were excellent. We also saw 14 lovely polar bears and several groups of walrus. Stunning trip.