Sue Flood is a professional wildlife and travel photographer. Sue has been working in the Polar Regions since 1998, although her work increasingly takes her to warmer climates to thaw out. Sue was born in North Wales and attended The Queen’s School, Chester. A Durham University zoology graduate, she went on to become a wildlife film-maker, spending 11 years with the world-renowned BBC Natural History Unit in Bristol.
Sue was an assistant producer on the award-winning BBC series The Blue Planet and also worked on Planet Earth and the Disney nature movie Earth. Films that Sue produced for the BBC include Polar Bears on Thin Ice, A Boy Among Polar Bears, Killer Whale and a short on blue whale science for The Life of Mammals. She left the BBC in 2005 to concentrate on her photography and was thrilled to be taken on by Getty Images.
Sue’s adventures on more than 30 trips to the Arctic and Antarctic have taken her from camping at -40°C, working on Russian icebreakers on trips to the North Pole and living with Inuit hunters on the floe edge, to diving with leopard seals in the Antarctic. Sue has also travelled extensively to other parts of the world, from the Russian Far East, Vietnam and Japan to Africa and throughout the South Pacific. But it is the Polar Regions that draw her back again and again for their stark and remote beauty, spectacular landscapes and superlative wildlife experiences so it was natural that her first book featured some of her favorite images from Cold Places.
Recognition of Sue’s work includes the following awards.
- 2011: International Photographer of the Year – prize-winner for best nature book, and also Travel and Tourism award.
- 2010: International Photographer of the Year prize-winner; selection for Royal Photographic Society International Print Exhibition.
- 2009: International Photographer of the Year – Travel and Tourism winner for a portfolio of images from the Ross Sea, Antarctica; Travel Photographer of the Year – best single nature shot.
- 2008: the Art Wolfe (Best of Festival) Award in the International Conservation Photography Awards; Royal Photographic Society Silver Medal.
Join Sue Flood on the following voyages:
- Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctica: November 14, 2013
- Antarctic Explorer: December 1 & December 10, 2013
View some of Sue’s award winning photos from Antarctica. If you are interested in purchasing any of the Sue Flood’s prints, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.