The Kapitan Khlebnikov is a polar-class icebreaker combing power and technology with comfort. No passenger ship has transited the Northwest Passage more often than the renowned Kapitan Khlebnikov. Originally designed to take on the rigors of northern Siberia, the 24,000 horsepower engine and advanced ice-breaking technology take you places no other ship can.
The ship offers 51 outside cabins and suites, all featuring private facilities, large windows, desk, hair dryer, robes and large closets.
- 51 cabins and suites
- All cabins featuring private facilities and large windows
- All cabins come equipped with a desk, hair dryer, robes and large closets
- All suites have sitting room separated from the bedroom, TV and DVD player
- Dining room with unreserved seating
- Chef-prepared meals (all meals and daily snack included)
- Coffee, tea and snacks served around the clock
- Lounge and bar staffed by a professional bartender
- Passenger elevator
- Heated indoor plunge pool
- Theater-style auditorium with state of the art equipment, for daily presentations from the Expedition Team
- Polar Library stocked with books and DVDs
- Polar Boutique
- Clinic with licensed doctor
- Zodiac Cruise
- Helicopter sightseeing tours
- Staff and Crew: 70
- Guests: 110
- Length: 122.50 meters
- Breadth: 26.50 meters
- Draft: 8.50 meters
- Propulsion: Diesel-electric engines - 24,000 total horsepower
- Ice Class: LL3
- Cruising Speed: 15 knots
Kapitan Khlebnikov deck plan
Did You Know?
Crossing the Northeast Passage
Because of the large amount of impenetrable sea ice for all but periods in the summer, it took many attempts before the Northeast Passage was first fully traversed. This took place in 1878–79 on an expedition led by the Swedish explorer Baron Adolf Erik Nordenskiöld.
The powerhouse icebreaker Kapitan Khlebnikov (pronounced KLEB-nik-off) has accessed some of the world’s most impenetrable and ice-choked waters since 1992.
In 1997, it made history by being the first ship to ever circumnavigate Antarctica with passengers. Take an expedition with Quark and experience the Khlebnikov’s power and might as you travel to some of the most remote landscapes on the planet.