Imagine for a moment, staring at the stars in the indigo glow of an Antarctic night as you bed down for the night outside in the elements. The buzz of your daily life becomes a distant memory as you listen to the bray of penguin, the ethereal calls of the Weddell sea – even the exhalation of a humpback whale. And then you fall asleep.
Antarctic Camping with Quark Expeditions is an unforgettable experience. After dinner onboard, you'll be escorted ashore by Zodiac to camp out on the snow for the night in your ready-to-roll bivy sack (tents can be used upon request). Once you decide on your spot, you set up camp and enjoy the peace as the Antarctic night unfolds.
Camping in Antarctica is limited to 50 participants, all of whom will be briefed beforehand on the principals of basic camping. Prior to you settling down for the night, Quark Expeditions staff will prepare the site, including setting up a perimeter in safe, flat to gently-sloping and beautiful site. You’re free to choose where (within the perimeters) you want to settle down for the night.
You’ll be equipped with the following:
- Mummy-style sleeping bag
- Bivy sack
- Insulated sleeping pad
- Sleeping bag liner
- 3 or 4 season tent provided upon request (pending availability)
- Quark Expeditions Parka
- Waterbottle (Small collapsible reusable water bottles provided onboard upon embarkation)
- Muck Boots (insulated waterproof boots provided onboard upon embarkation)
Other recommended gear:
- Base and mid-layer clothing
- Warm hat
- Warm gloves
- Camera and accessories
- Eye mask if you wish complete darkness
- Need a pillow? Roll up your parka!
- Essential medication and or supplements