13 or 14 days
Spitsbergen is the largest island of the Svalbard archipelago, and on this voyage we’ll attempt a circumnavigation of the island. Lying entirely within the Arctic Circle, Spitsbergen is rugged, wild, unspoiled—utterly unforgettable. When it comes to viewing arctic wildlife, Spitsbergen is known as one of the most prolific destinations.
The island and surrounding area offers one of the best opportunities to view polar bears, and with luck you’ll be able to see the world’s largest carnivores in their natural habitat. Walrus populations love Spitsbergen as well, feeding in the food-rich icy waters around the island. Whales and seabirds will also entertain you during the sailing portions of the expedition, and you may catch a sighting of reindeer or fox when taking Zodiac excursions to shore.
New: Complimentary Airfare on 2019 Departures!
Effective December 1, 2018 receive free one-way charter airfare on select 2019 departures. Subject to availability; new bookings only.
- June 17 to June 29, 2019 — Free one-way charter flight from Longyearbyen (LYR) to Oslo (OSL), valued at $400 USD.
- June 29 to July 11, 2019 — Free one-way charter flight from Olso (OSL) to Longyearbyen (LYR), valued at $400 USD.
Interested to see more of this voyage? Explore Spitsbergen in 360° Virtual Reality!
Day-by-Day Expedition in Brief
- Encounter iconic arctic wildlife, such as polar bears, walrus and reindeer
- View numerous arctic bird species, like puffins, arctic terns and purple sandpipers
- Take advantage of continuous daylight
- Explore glaciers, fjords, icebergs and more with included Zodiac cruising
- Immerse yourself in the icy realm of the Arctic with optional kayaking adventures
- Hike the tundra and polar desert
Day 1 — Embarkation Day in Longyearbyen, Norway
Days 2 to 12 — Circumnavigating Spitsbergen
Day 13 — Depart Longyearbyen
Day 1 — Arrive in Oslo, Norway
Day 2 — Embarkation Day in Longyearbyen, Svalbard
Days 3 to 13 — Exploring Spitsbergen
Day 14 — Disembark in Longyearbyen & fly to Oslo
Pre- and Post-Trip Options Extend Your Stay
Getting to the Arctic can be just as much fun as being there. Quark offers multiple travel packages that enable you to see more of the world before and after your Arctic adventure.
Discover Oslo Package
Enjoy an extra night in Norway’s vibrant capital city where you will get a guided tour of this modern, beautifully situated town. Extend the package to five days and take the unforgettable Flåm Railway past picturesque fjords and snow-capped mountains on your way to Bergen.