Our ground-breaking Tundra to Table experience offers guests a one-of-a-kind adventure into the culinary traditions of the Inuit in Greenland and Nunavut. Guests who participate in this on-ship Adventure Option will enjoy dishes from these Arctic regions prepared by Inuit chefs, and learn about local Inuit culture and culinary traditions.
Guest can savor food in its purest, most natural state.
At the heart of this experience, enjoyed in Ultramarine’s main restaurant, Balena, is the purity of the ingredients, such as seafood caught fresh from the Arctic waters, and free-roaming game that consume naturally organic grass and vegetation. Dishes will vary by trip but may include: beer-braised muskox served with Greenlandic mashed potatoes, mushroom sauce and berry jam; South Greenlandic lamb served with pommes Anna (layers of sliced potatoes), sweet turnip ragu, pickled angelica and wild gravy; honey-glazed ptarmigan served with turnip purée; and pickled halibut served with lumpfish dip and bread.
Program hosted by Inuit chefs who are experts in Indigenous cuisine.
Guests will enjoy modern Inuit fusion-style cuisine with dishes reflecting the culinary traditions of the region of your voyage, whether it’s muskox in Greenland or Arctic char in Nunavut. Local chefs will share the story of their people through food.
It’s the only exclusively Inuit culinary experience of its kind.
Quark Expeditions is the only polar operator to offer this kind of culinary collaboration with local Inuit chefs, which will only be available on select Arctic voyages, as listed below.
Culinary Experience details:
- Guests will enjoy four courses of modern Inuit fusion-style cuisine during a dinner hosted by Inuit chefs, who will talk about the origins of the food and elements of Inuit cooking.
- Guests will join two tables at the front of Balena restaurant on Ultramarine.
- Participants will have a choice between meat or fish between two of four courses.
- The dinner, featuring regional tableware, will include cultural storytelling.
- Please see your expedition for pricing and availability.
Available on these upcoming voyages:
- Northwest Passage: Epic High Arctic
- Northwest Passage: In the Footsteps of Franklin
- Arctic Express Canada: The Heart of the Northwest Passage
- Canada’s Remote Arctic: Northwest Passage to Ellesmere and Axel Heiberg Islands
- Best of the Western Arctic: Canada and Greenland
For more information on how we’re sourcing food and conducting this experience sustainably click here.