- Oslo, Norway
Starting Price$9,445 USD
Named one of National Geographic Traveler’s 50 Tours of a Lifetime, this unforgettable voyage begins above the Arctic Circle at Spitsbergen, the “wildlife capital of the Arctic,” ventures to the spectacular, remote landscape of East Greenland, and ends in Iceland.
In Spitsbergen, you’ll visit spectacular glacier fronts, steep-walled fjords and wind-swept tundra, where wildlife sightings include walrus, polar bears, Svalbard reindeer and thousands of birds. During your tour of Greenland’s remote eastern coast, you’ll explore the remains of ancient Thule settlements and keep an eye out for grazing muskoxen—40 percent of the world’s muskoxen population lives here.
The towering cliffs, massive glaciers, rugged fjords and vast swaths of untouched tundra in these breathtaking environments will provide sights, sounds and scenes you’ve never experienced, permanently transforming your connection to the planet we call home. Explore the amazing Arctic, immerse yourself in the beauty and fragility of a wondrous region, and return with unique memories that will last a lifetime.
Your Arctic adventure begins in Oslo, where you may arrive at any time during Day 1 of your itinerary. Upon arriving in this splendid capital city, known for its green spaces and museums, you will check into your included airport hotel.
After breakfast, the group will transfer to the airport and board our private charter flight to Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen’s largest settlement, as part of the transfer package. As you embark this afternoon, you’ll enjoy great views of the mountainous landscape that serves as a backdrop for this seaside town.
Exploring Spitsbergen, the largest island of the Norwegian Svalbard archipelago, rewards you with austere beauty and opportunities to spot its abundant wildlife. Here, you’ll visit spectacular glacier fronts and steep-walled fjords, with walrus, polar bears and Svalbard reindeer amongst your possible wildlife sightings. Birders will be thrilled to see Arctic terns, skuas, long-tailed ducks, kittiwakes and ivory gulls. If conditions allow, you could sail within 10 degrees of the North Pole!
While sailing south through the Greenland Sea, your Expedition Team will teach you about the wildlife and history of Greenland, your next stop. On deck, you’ll learn to identify seabirds on the wing. Take in a presentation, share your photos, sip an icy cocktail in the bar or watch a film—there are many things to do during your time at sea.
During your tour of Greenland’s remote eastern coast, you’ll enjoy Zodiac cruises and shore visits to several locations. Explore the remains of ancient Thule settlements and keep an eye out for grazing muskoxen—40 percent of the world’s muskoxen population lives here. Finally, you will sail through spectacular Scoresbysund, the birthplace of many icebergs and, some say, the most beautiful fjord system in the world. If conditions allow, you may also visit Ittoqqortoormiit, the most remote community in East Greenland.
As we cruise south, the Denmark Strait is your pathway toward Iceland. Your Expedition Team will keep you informed and entertained with presentations about the history of exploration in the Arctic and the seabirds you’ll see soaring above your ship.
You’ll disembark in Reykjavik, Iceland’s capital, at the end of your journey. If you have booked post-expedition accommodation, we provide a transfer to a central downtown location.
MANDATORY TRANSFER PACKAGE INCLUDES:
One night’s pre-expedition hotel night at Oslo airport hotel, with breakfast
Charter flight from Oslo to Longyearbyen
Arrival transfer in Longyearbyen
PACKAGE PRICE: $695 USD
Important reminder: Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy—and excitement—of expedition travel. When traveling in extremely remote regions, your expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. This itinerary is a tentative outline of what you’ll experience on this voyage; please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed.
Due to local regulations in Svalbard, flightseeing and other helicopter-supported adventure options are not available on these voyages.
- Leadership throughout your voyage by our experienced Expedition Leaders, including shore landings and other activities
- All Zodiac transfers and cruising as per the daily program
- All shore landings as per the daily program
- Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping
- All meals, snacks, soft drinks and juices on board throughout your voyage (Please inform us of any dietary requirements as far in advance as possible. Unfortunately, the ships’ galleys cannot prepare kosher meals.)
- Select beer and wine during dinner; and coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock
- Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and guest speakers as scheduled
- A photographic journal documenting the expedition
- A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for landings and Zodiac cruising excursions
- An official Quark Expeditions® parka to keep
- Hair dryer and bathrobes in every cabin
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- All luggage handling aboard the ship
- Emergency Evacuation insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of USD $500,000 per person
- Transfer from Longyearbyen town center to port on embarkation day
- Group transfer to downtown Reykjavik on disembarkation day
- Greenland voyages cruise passenger tax
- Mandatory Transfer Package*
- International airfare
- Arrival transfer in Oslo
- Airport transfer in Reykjavik
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
- Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
- Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance—strongly recommended
- Excess-baggage fees on international flights
- Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
- Laundry, bar and other personal charges unless specified
- Phone and Internet charges (connectivity may vary by location)
- Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
- Additional overnight accommodation
- Adventure Options not listed in Included
Book with Confidence
Quark Expeditions’ enhanced Book with Confidence Guarantee is an industry first cancellation and rebook policy where we have our guests covered from the initial booking date until their expedition cruise returns to give 100% risk-free cancellation and flexibility options. From “Booking to Boarding” we have you covered all the way.
Easily rebook or we will refund you if we have to cancel your voyage for COVID-19 reasons.
30 Day Easy Rebook Guarantee
Easily rebook your trip for any reason up to 30 days prior to your voyage. No questions asked.
COVID-19 Protection Guarantee
Easily rebook if you have to cancel your trip within 29 to 1 day of the voyage due to COVID-19.