- Oslo, Norway
Starting Price€5,130 EUR
This fascinating expedition provides a taste of everything Spitsbergen has to offer, starting with its largest settlement, Longyearbyen. The largest island of the Svalbard archipelago is known as the “wildlife capital of the Arctic,” and on this stirring voyage, we show you why. Geared toward optimum wildlife viewing, this 10-day expedition provides ample opportunities to witness walrus, reindeer, and that most iconic of Arctic denizens, the polar bear, in their natural habitat, while marveling at the surreal experience of continuous daylight. Explore the unique Arctic landscape, hike the vast and colorful tundra, learn about the history and geology of this remote wilderness, and join us on a gripping excursion to a faraway, unforgettable land.
This exciting introductory journey to the remote Norwegian island, renowned for its stunning scenery and abundant, varied wildlife, is now available on two ships, each providing a distinct polar experience. Ultramarine, our new, game-changing polar vessel, can take you to remote destinations no other ships can reach. Aboard Ultramarine, explore Spitsbergen in brand new ways—taking advantage of the 20 quick-launching Zodiacs, and more outdoor wildlife viewing spaces than other expedition ship its size—to create the Arctic experience perfect for you. Ocean Adventurer, a passenger favorite, is much loved for its intimate onboard ambience that enables guests to connect with other travelers and members of the expedition team.
Your Arctic voyage begins in Oslo, Norway’s vibrant capital city. If you arrive early, there are many museums and restaurants and green spaces to keep you busy before retiring at your included airport hotel.
This morning, the group will transfer to the airport and board our private charter flight to Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen’s largest settlement, where you’ll have some time to explore before embarkation. As your ship sets sail, enjoy your first view of the island’s rugged, glacier-topped mountains rising majestically from icy waters.
You’ll cruise around this magical island on a constant search for wildlife. Your expedition will cover western Spitsbergen as well as stunning fjords and outlying islands to the north. From polar flora to immense glaciers, the natural landscape here is just as varied as the wildlife.
Each expedition presents new opportunities and different weather and ice, so there is no fixed itinerary; however, some of the places we may visit include the 14th of July Glacier, Smeerenburg, Alkefjellet and the Hinlopen Strait. The destinations visited will be selected for optimum wildlife viewing with an appreciation of the history and geology of Spitsbergen.
The island offers multiple opportunities for wildlife photography. Since most of Svalbard’s Arctic ecosystem is uninhabited and well-protected, this remote archipelago is one of the world’s best places to spot polar bears against stunning natural backdrops of mountains and ice.
The towering cliffs of Alkefjellet provide homes to thousands of Brünnich’s guillemots (thick-billed murres).
Coming across a walrus haul-out is a moment you won’t soon forget. These giant pinnipeds of the Arctic create quite a noisy scene as each walrus vies for a choice spot of coastline.
If you’re itching to experience a more intimate view from the water, you can book the sea kayaking or paddling excursion adventure options.
In Spitsbergen, there is no shortage of natural beauty. The tundra can be surprisingly colorful in summer, with wildflowers bursting for a taste of sunshine. Each day, you’ll see something interesting, whether it is an ever-changing gallery of spectacular icebergs, a polar bear resting between hunts, or abandoned historical site from centuries ago.
The time to say goodbye to your Expedition Team and shipmates has come. Your adventure ends as it began, in the historic frontier-style settlement of Longyearbyen. From here, we’ll transfer you to the airport for your return group charter flight to Oslo, included in the transfer package.
MANDATORY TRANSFER PACKAGE INCLUDES:
- One night’s pre-expedition hotel night at Oslo airport hotel, with breakfast
- Charter flight from Oslo to Longyearbyen
- Arrival and departure transfers in Longyearbyen
- Charter flight from Longyearbyen to Oslo
PACKAGE PRICE: $995 USD
Important reminder: Embracing the unexpected is part of the legacy—and excitement—of expedition travel. When traveling in extremely remote regions, your expedition staff must allow the sea, the ice and the weather to guide route and itinerary details. This itinerary is a tentative outline of what you’ll experience on this voyage; please be aware that no specific itinerary can be guaranteed.
Due to local regulations in Svalbard, flightseeing and other helicopter-supported adventure options are not available on these voyages.
- Leadership throughout your voyage by our experienced Expedition Leaders, including shore landings and other activities
- All Zodiac transfers and cruising per the daily program
- All shore landings per the daily program
- Shipboard accommodation with daily housekeeping
- All meals, snacks, soft drinks and juices on board throughout your voyage (Please inform us of any dietary requirements as far in advance as possible. Unfortunately, the ships’ galleys cannot prepare kosher meals.)
- Select beer and wine during dinner; and coffee, tea and cocoa available around the clock
- Formal and informal presentations by our Expedition Team and guest speakers as scheduled
- A photographic journal documenting the expedition
- A pair of waterproof expedition boots on loan for landings and Zodiac cruising excursions
- An official Quark Expeditions® parka to keep
- Hair dryer and bathrobes in every cabin
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program
- All luggage handling aboard the ship
- Emergency Evacuation insurance for all passengers to a maximum benefit of USD $500,000 per person
- Transfers between Longyearbyen town center and port on embarkation and disembarkation day
- Mandatory Transfer Package*
- International airfare
- Arrival and departure transfers in Oslo
- Passport and visa expenses
- Government arrival and departure taxes not mentioned above
- Meals ashore unless otherwise specified
- Baggage, cancellation, interruption and medical travel insurance—strongly recommended
- Excess-baggage fees on international flights
- Mandatory waterproof pants for Zodiac cruising, or any other gear not mentioned
- Laundry, bar and other personal charges unless specified
- Phone and Internet charges (connectivity may vary by location)
- Voluntary gratuity at the end of the voyage for shipboard staff and crew
- Additional overnight accommodation
- Adventure Options not listed in Included Activities
Book with Confidence
Quark Expeditions’ enhanced Book with Confidence Guarantee is an industry first cancellation and rebook policy where we have our guests covered from the initial booking date until their expedition cruise returns to give 100% risk-free cancellation and flexibility options. From “Booking to Boarding” we have you covered all the way.
Easily rebook or we will refund you if we have to cancel your voyage for COVID-19 reasons.
30 Day Easy Rebook Guarantee
Easily rebook your trip for any reason up to 30 days prior to your voyage. No questions asked.
COVID-19 Protection Guarantee
Easily rebook if you have to cancel your trip within 29 to 1 day of the voyage due to COVID-19.